Water damage losses can happen in any season and every home has potential sources of water damage:
- Failure of water supply lines to appliances, sinks, wet bars or toilets
- Burst pipes due to age, freezing or disrepair
- Water heater failure
- Plumbing or appliance failure
- Overflow of plumbing fixtures
- Faulty construction
The process to restore your home after a water loss can easily take months. Worse than the inconvenience is the potential for damage to irreplaceable belongings such as photographs, artwork or keepsakes.
Water Losses by the Numbers1
From 2014 to 2018, losses from water and frozen pipes were the third costliest type of loss, behind fire and liability.
- The average claim cost $10,182
- Water claims were the second most frequent cause of loss to homes, behind wind and hail
- About one in 50 insured homes has a property damage claim caused by water damage or frozen pipes each year
1Insurance Information Institute
Automatic Water Shut-off Devices
Taking action now can help you prevent future water damages and the headaches that comes with it.
Many water losses can be prevented or mitigated by an automatic water shut-off device. This device constantly monitors water flow through your home’s pressurized plumbing system and automatically shut off the water if a leak is detected, preventing further damage.
Each system allows you to customize shut off criteria to meet your needs, allowing you to control how much water is used and learn about leaks if they occur. You can also connect these devices to your home’s central station alarm system or your mobile device.